Friday, February 26, 2010

New Roomates

Roommates here seem to come and go as often as the sun sets. For those that are not familiar with the sun, it usually sets every day. Usually.

My friend Kate moved in here when she could no longer stand her homestay. All the homestays they have been providing are just with an AIESECer, so it's like living with a college kid. As in any culture or part of the world, sharing a tiny room with someone is a hard thing to do. Then Eva, the German girl arrived and took that same homestay that Kate had. She only lasted 5 days and then pleaded to move into my room. Which holds 3 people max. Long story short, this is supposed to be a "guys" room and so when the 2 Nigerian interns arrived this week, both Eva and Kate got the boot.

However, I'm in the room alone because the Nigerians are yet to move in....

This morning I left for my schools for the Friday HIV club sessions. Arrived at my first school only to be informed that the kids were not there today and that we had to reschedule. I am starting to see a pattern here... From there I went to my second school and they actually WERE there so I could teach!

I brought Eva along with me today since her schools are close to mine. I had an idea about splitting my class up between guys and girls. Eva took the girls, I took the guys and we each had candid conversations about important topics. Women rights/equality, rape, fidelity, treating women with respect, allowing women the right to say no... and Eva took some sensitive feminine topics. I think it was a big success and the kids seemed to enjoy asking questions they cannot usually ask.

***

I'm not sure if I have mentioned the dust that makes up Ghana. Everywhere is this clay-dust stuff that gets on your clothing and in your nose. Mixed with 30 year old cars and their exhaust makes the air pretty nasty. If you come here, don't bring white clothing!

Leaving for the North Region tomorrow at 6am. Our route is Accra to Kumasi (second biggest city). We will stay there for a few days and the head to Tamale (4th largest city). From Tamale we take separate trotros to get to a hippo sanctuary and Mole National Park. The hippo place is on the border of Burkina Faso and we actually get to walk into that country!Still working on getting to Togo before I leave though.

Time to pack, eat a mango and figure out how to stop sweating my own body weight each day. Enjoy your weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing.

    Also, good seeing your "face" and hearing your voice yesterday.

    ReplyDelete