Tuesday, February 2, 2010

It was supposed to be a 3 hour tour...

Today we were assigned our schools. I have two - both of which are about an hour and a half away. With no traffic and car it would take 25 minutes, tops. But because I have to take two buses and one shared taxi it just takes for ever. Annoying since I teach at 11am on Friday meaning I have to be gone by 9am. Add in wake up time and getting some breakfast... its an early day and guaranteed long day.

Baffour, our project leader made us go to our schools alone today. This made me extremely uneasy since they constantly tell us to go everywhere with a local. They always want to protect us and make sure we don't get the Obruni Price (Obruni = white person). Nevertheless there I was, alone. I walked to Kaneshie Station to catch the first bus. I have been here many times to it wasn't too difficult. Except for the fact that there are probably 75 buses in a cramped parking lot with no signs. Everyone just keeps asking where their bus is. Plus there are tons of street vendors and people selling stuff and trash and filth. It's just this crowded mass of people and smells. I found my bus and prepared for the 1.5 hour journey in a cramped 1970's bus.

We arrived to Madina Market and I was told to look for the taxi station. Of course I had no idea so I started asking random people and they pointed me toward the right. Every block I kept asking and everyone kept pointing right. I finally find it and of course it's the wrong one. The taxi driver points me back in the direction that I came from, a nice little 10 minute walk back in the 85 degree weather and 85% humidity.

I make it back to where I started and right around the corner is where I was supposed to go. I jumped in the shared taxi (which is much cheaper than a private taxi) and with the help of fellow passengers I made it to the school. I had called the Patron, Mr. Tumawu, and I guess he thought I was close by when I called at 12:30. Needless to say when I arrived at 2:45pm he was not pleased. This was the first time I have met the person in charge and I was "late." No only did I look bad, but now the program looks bad. I was pissed for getting bad directions and being forced to go on my own. Looking back now I know what to do which is good. But at the time I was drenched in sweat, nervous, and upset for making the students wait.

I apologized a bunch of times and I think everything is OK. Mr. T took me back to the main street and directed me home. While on the TroTro home the driver decided that the traffic was too much for him. He then went off-roading down this dirt path and we re-entered traffic later. OF course there was a policeman waiting. He pulls our bus over and starts yelling at the driver. Turns out that the driver did not have a license to drive. So, all the passengers were told to leave the bus and find an alternate ride. We did get our money back, which was the first question I asked....

There I was, standing in the middle of seemingly nowhere, waiting for some "mate" in a bus to yell "Circle circle circle" indicating that that bus was heading to Kaneshie Circle. One finally came, I jumped in, now even hotter, sweatier and angrier than before. Also, remembering that once at Kaneshie Circle I would have to transfer to the Russia Road bus to get home.

I made it back and all I could think to do was shower. The cleaning lady came to clean someone else's room, and while I was gone I asked that she clean my room. Cost was $2.50 and it included washing the sheets, sweep/mop the floor, and cleaning the bathroom. A bargain I might say.

Tomorrow I head to my second school. I now know that I need to leave earlier and at least this time I understand how to get there. Oh, and one more thing. We had the standard rolling blackout last night. When the power randomly goes out for no reason no one knows why it happened or when it will come back on. So we sat in the dark.

Welcome to Africa.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeff, it's cousin Karen. I was speaking to your dad about your trip. I have been reading your blog. I can't imagine going without clean water for 3 days. It sounds like they are missing some of the basics there. Now is the time to get your worldly experience for sure. Soon, you will be engrossed in corperate America like the rest of us. Have a great trip and take it all in!

    Love, Cousin Karen

    ReplyDelete