Friday, February 19, 2010

Kokrobite

Hello loyal readers! Sorry I have been MIA this past week. I think I stopped posting because life became "normal." I have found my routine of teaching, eating, sleeping and playing. Today marks 1 month since I arrived in Ghana. I have been thinking about how much I have learned in just 4 weeks...

I've learned to eat soup with my hands, shower by bucket, endure insane humidity, experience cultural differences, teach HIV prevention in a rural African school, figure out a ridiculous bus system in a foreign country, learn some local language as well as Mandarin...

I look forward to the next 2 months and all of the new experiences that I will have. I truly do like it here and am not ready to go home just yet. Not sure if I would will want to extend my trip, but I'll let you know in April. For now I'm enjoying my Ghanaian routine.

Last weekend I went to a beach resort called Kokrobite. We stayed at a camping place called Big Millie's. Four of us stayed in a little yert (yurt?) or circular hut type thing. Just 2 beds inside and a mirror. But the grounds were amazing. Trees and flowers and lizards and then it's right on the beach so the view of the ocean is amazing. The water is so warm that you can walk straight in... but still feel refreshed. The place has many unique qualities like water from the quarry or the fact you order lunch at 9am, dinner at 4pm and then everyone staying at the resort eats together by torch light.

In the evening, we showered in the open air shower room and got ready for dinner. When you walk into the little table area, everyone just looks like they are in a pure state of bliss. It's relaxation to the extreme and every worry, concern or bad feeling just sort of melts away. Dinner was a bit more expensive (about 11 cedis) but it was delicious! I had pepper steak, potatoes and salad and it was seriously delicious. First potato I have had in probably 2 months and I really enjoyed something different. After dinner, we grabbed a few beers and just sat around the table talking and laughing and enjoying the moment. 

Later there was a reggae party at the site with live music, cold drinks and crashing waves. Like a movie or a dream, I let everything just sort of be and enjoyed the moment for everything it was worth.

The next day, we scavenged for some cheaper food down the road and then unsuccessfully attempted to find another beach spot. We returned in the late afternoon, exhausted, but happy.

On Tuesday I went to my school to teach science again. This time I prepared a short science experiment. I brought baking soda, detergent and vinegar. When you combine the three, a mini volcano is created! The kids seemed to really enjoy it. Also, we talked about the science behind it which hopefully made sense to them. Plus, since I used household ingredients I encouraged them to try it on their own. I thought I would teach from 8am-9am... and then again at 1pm for the second J.H.S. class. Instead I taught all day, mostly answering questions about the USA and about Ohio and whatnot. It was really fun, but exhausting.

I left the school exhausted, but was revived with 2-for-1 pizza at the mall. It actually tastes pretty good!

A new German intern arrived this week. Today, I think she reached her melting point and had a mini breakdown. The heat, her living situation, and the lack of work on this project finally got to her after 1 week. I think now she will readjust her thought process and everything should be fine. It is an adjustment going anywhere abroad, and I think even moreso here. Everything we do is a process, and a process that none of us are used to. However, we will be so much more prepared for future travels, at least in my opinion.

Intern day trip tomorrow to the eastern region. Another post to come when I return!

P.S. did I mention they fixed the pipes in our flat so now we have actual running water?? showers even!


No comments:

Post a Comment