Friday, March 26, 2010

T-minus 5

I haven't been feeling too well these past 2 days. Yesterday in the afternoon I started to get really dizzy, lightheaded and weak-feeling. I took a long nap and when I woke up it was like my whole body was tired. Everything was sore and I barely had enough energy to pick my head up. Somehow I manage to change my clothes and we then went out to dinner at this really good place. In the car ride I passed out and at dinner all I could do was sit. Even the little energy it took to pick up my sandwich was too much. Plus, then I realized I had fever and was getting chills.

Starting to panic (as these are signs of Malaria) I thought about getting myself to the hospital immediately. But, after eating half my sandwich and drinking 3 cups of tea I started to feel a little bit better. After dinner I went straight home and slept from about 10:30 to 8am.

Right now I am still very weak and tired, but I can function. Breakfast gave me some energy and I think I just need to eat and drink more water. Most likely I got bit by a bug and my body reacted to it. I went to the pharmacy this morning to have my temperature checked and my fever was gone. I described my symptoms and the pharmacist did not think I have malaria. He told me to take some Tylenol and get some rest. Unfortunately, this means I do not get to go to my school today. It was my last day working on my project, but luckily I said goodbye to most of the kids last Tuesday.

Recently, I just haven't been feeling very healthy. I think I would recommend that anyone coming here should bring a daily multivitamin and also calcium pills. There is zero dairy here, but I do drink soy milk to get some protein.

5 more days til I leave! The first week was slow, but I knew the pace would speed up. Once I got used to the slower pace I really started to accept Ghanaian life. My favorite is the midday break - anything between noon and 3 because it's just too damn hot. 

Might go to this place called Frankie's in Osu tonight for burgers. Highly dependent on how I feel so we will see...

No comments:

Post a Comment