Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 2

Today started off with me feeling extremely sick. Head, stomach, everything. Without using too much detail, I decided 3 days was long enough to hold everything in. And yes, I now feel much better. I also drank a lot more water which helps.

4 more interns (2 from China, 2 from Taiwan) arrived today. Now I know what I looked like when I got here -- dazed and confused. I realized how much I already new about how to live and it made me feel a lot better. It's basically like being a baby. I have to completely relearn how to eat, shower, go to the bathroom, everything. Once I get my routine down and rid myself of western ego I think I will be fine.

I spent the day basically sitting and sleeping. Jet lag usually doesn't bother me this much, but in combination with the heat and food it been interesting to say the least. I did not exchange money or get a phone yet, but that will all be tomorrow. With a phone and calling card, it will actually be very easy to call the USA. All the people here my age have laptops and phones, just like home eh? The only difference is that I am showering with a bucket.

The other interns and I went to dinner at this place called Homer's. Ate chicken and rice again... starting to get old but I'm trying to ease my way into local food. After dinner we went onto the roof to enjoy a "cool" 80 degree breeze and later played cards. I'm starting to learn my neighborhood a bit. I live on Russia Road at Flamingo Intersection. Absolutely zero street signs, so for all I know its not true.

I requested to be moved to a host family. I think the experience will be so much different. Here it is like living in a college dorm with college kids. While really fun and tons of people to talk to... in terms of feeding myself and experiencing local culture I think a host family will be better.

I still have no idea what time it is, but I know that I'm tired and I smell. Off for a "shower" and some sleep.

3 comments:

  1. This is better than Jersey Shore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally missed this post! Glad you were feeling better afterward... Yea Russia Road and Flamingo Intersection sounds made up, you should check into that for all the letters you may be getting, I'm thinking if I put that as an address the post office wouldn't even bother sending it back to me and would assume I was just on crack

    ReplyDelete